Friday, March 26, 2010

A day without plastics..

I took a vow that one day I will not touch plastics and here is what I did..

A day without plastics
Wake up in the morning to see toothbrush handle is plastic so brushed with hand. The shaving kit handles are plastic and blade is plastic so cant shave. Wash my hand - oh my liquid soap container is plastic so can wash but no soap. My bath soap doesnt have a plastic packaging - good I can bath but with ice cold water as hot water switch is plastic..

Then on to breakfast - oh no I cant touch my refrigerator most of it is plastic. Call pizza shop but my phone is made of plastic. With bad hunger I went to a hotel to take some breakfast - oh whats this the serving plate is plastic. So I had to look for a hotel which will serve in non-plastic ware. Fortunately found one nearby and finished my breakfast. Home and office were near so dint have to use my car's plastic cased key.

Enter in to office - had to swipe my id card to get in but thats a plastic card. Waited for someone to open and then entered right behind. Office cube is modular and partially made of hardened plastic. The worst part is right from monitor to keyboard tray everything is plastic. So even if I escape touching the cube walls I would have to touch my keyboard and mouse - Thats against the vow so took a day off. On the way out of office, I had to press a plastic button to get out again followed the same tactic I used for entering..

Back home - Idea of turning on television sparked but what is this remote control is plastic and more than that switch is plastic. I can live without office but not without TV. Now I again remembered my vow and started to replay the words again. Got myself a cloth hand glove and switched on the TV.

Suddenly power went off and I was in total dark. I dint want to further manipulate my vow so refrained from switching on lights. Got some sleep - in the sleep I could do all that I dint do right from the morning..

Then realized a day without plastics is only a dream today. I couldnt imagine a life without plastics thats when google told me that plastics were invented in 1855 - I couldnt take my eyes off that page for a while.

We talk about drug addictions but drugs are used only by a few and still they have a choice to live without. But plastics have addicted the mankind so much and that too without giving much of a choice to live without it. Atom bomb during the world war left a lot of people dead with radiation impact lasting for next decades but plastics have infected people and environment with strong YoY growth it will soon overtake the causalities of atom bomb. Though students once in a while raise voice against it citing ill effects they still carry plastic water bottles to school. Plastics are still heavily manufactured and there is no disarmament of plastics in sight.

Hoping that one day we will launch an explorer and dump all plastics to Mars or Jupiter and go back to 1854 to rewrite history..

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home